Buff heritage

Where are you getting them from? Are the Buff or Jersey Buff? This is a heritage type breed and will not grow as fast as the BB types. I had a Jersey Buff tom a couple of years ago and just loved him. I didn't have any hens for him so he went to the freezer :(

Where are you getting them from? Are the Buff or Jersey Buff? This is a heritage type breed and will not grow as fast as the BB types. I had a Jersey Buff tom a couple of years ago and just loved him. I didn't have any hens for him so he went to the freezer :(
I mean no offense and hope none is taken, but I would like to step in here, if you don't mind? BB turkeys are not good for breeders. They are Hybrids for fast growth and a lot of meat, short lived and need AI ! Jersey Buffs are are rare and on the endangered list: http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#turkeys You could have tried to put your JOB tom over a BB hen, if you kept the hen on a restricted diet to avoid leg and heart problems and if she lived to reach sexual maturity at 8 or 9 months, she would have laid fertile, Buff crosses, that would have kept you in turkey meat for your freezer, indefinitely! Just a thought.
KWAK, I hope you post pictures, when you get them. Buffs were used to develop the Bourbon Red Turkeys, that are well known and very similar looking!

Last edited:
I mean no offense and hope none is taken, but I would like to step in here, if you don't mind? BB turkeys are not good for breeders. They are Hybrids for fast growth and a lot of meat, short lived and need AI ! Jersey Buffs are are rare and on the endangered list: http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#turkeys You could have tried to put your JOB tom over a BB hen, if you kept the hen on a restricted diet to avoid leg and heart problems and if she lived to reach sexual maturity at 8 or 9 months, she would have laid fertile, Buff crosses, that would have kept you in turkey meat for your freezer, indefinitely! Just a thought.
KWAK, I hope you post pictures, when you get them. Buffs were used to develop the Bourbon Red Turkeys, that are well known and very similar looking!
Where exactly did you see the need to offer this information? The poster asked about Buffs. I gave them a short, sweet answer. I never said anything about breeding BBs, as that would be kind of stupid. Not everyone on here is a newb.

Back
Top Bottom