Buff in the nesting box for 15 hours!!!

You will need to break the broody whenever one of your girls goes broody. I've done it with good success. The idea is that their body temperature goes up when broody. By putting them in a cage without bedding, only a wire floor raised up on bricks, allows their bellies to cool off. They have no warm bedding to snuggle into. After 3 days minimum they cool off and stop being broody. Let them rejoin the flock. If they return to sitting in the nest for lengthy times immidiatly do it again. A broody will conceivably sit waiting for eggs to hatch without eating or drinking adequately. They don't realise there is not going to be a hatching and die trying. The earlier you break them of their broody mood the easier. First be sure they are broody, but don't wait longer than 3 days.

Can one really break a hen from being broody? I was told by a customer of mine today that one cannot.

I've broken all my broodies within 3 or 4 days, as I do it immediately once I see the signs. Since I have no plans to let them hatch I don't want them to put in the time and effort of sitting for no result. I've heard of cases with super determined broodies that don't seem to want to break no matter what, no matter how long they've been sitting, but that's not the norm.

Back
Top Bottom