1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff limping/hopping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Swissmiss989, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a 6 month old buff that has been favoring her foot. Yesterday she was limping but walking on it. I checked it but theres no sign of injury. Today shes hopping on one foot. Whats the deal. Any ideas or something I can look for?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot. If it's not bumblefoot, most likely she has sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon. Caused possibly by hopping down from a high roost or some other place that's high up. You can lower roosts to eliminate this problem. I recommend you put her in a cage for rest and relaxation, not walking or running around aggravating the injury. Provide her feed and water while she's caged. These type injuries take time to heal...sometimes a week, a month or more, or never. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy, crush a few into powder and sprinkle it over her feed for her to eat. The vitamin B complex may help the injury heal quicker. Do this for about 5 days, then release her to see if she is walking normal. If not, place her back in the cage for about a week, repeat vitamin B complex in her feed. Then release her again and if she's not walking normal, stop the vitamin B complex. If that's the case, most likely the injury is more severe than expected, then it will become a quality of life issue. I had a hen that hobbled around for a year on one leg due to an injury and she did just fine by herself, even laid an egg almost daily. I had to keep her seperated from the others. Her good leg gave out eventually and I had to put her down.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As above, check for bumblefoot. If no problem there, odds are she 'just' injured herself. Also as noted above, put her in a cage (with all her creature comforts close at hand) so she can't jump up onto ior down off of anything for now. My roo BJ would get an injured leg from time to time and I found that aspirin water helped take the edge off the pain for him so that he would be able to eat/drink sufficently (1 baby aspirin crushed intio 1 cup drinking water, fresh batch twice daily).
    JJ

4. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    When I check for bumble foot what an I looking for? I have never come accross this yet. But I will cage her for a few days and see if it helps.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Bumblefoot is normally found on the bottom of their feet. It is a dark in color round scab found on the footpad. They can also be located on top of toes or webbing areas, under toes (usually smaller in size.)

6. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Ok ill take a good look! Is it easy to treat and how to treat it?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by