Buff Orp breeding help

BiggJohnn

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Davie Florida (Ft> Lauderdale FL)
Hi all,
I’ve recently been chatting with a fellow BYC member & he has some Beautiful Buff Orps! Long story short his rooster is 9lbs & ruff with the hens while breeding with them. Is there a way to try to limit his aggression with the hens? He’s going to send me some eggs but I’d hate to have an injury to any of his chickens. What’s the best way to get fertile eggs and how would they have to be together to start getting fertile eggs?
Thanks again all!!

He's gotta let him do his business for a good week
Then start collecting eggs
Sometimes roosters look like they are being rough because they are clumsy or inexperienced
If the hen doesn't submit it also makes it harder for the roo to get a bullseye
Chickens mate a little different than other creatures and it really takes 2
Basically what I'm saying is if he is not letting them mate right now then they need some practice before you purchase any eggs
On the other hand some roosters are really rough but that's nature no one should be hurt

I would not want fertile eggs from an aggressive cockbird.
Aggressiveness can be hereditary.
Of course we don't know why and how this bird is being 'aggressive'.
Could be an age thing(is cock older than a year?)
Could be they are crowded and/or multiple males are present.
or....???<shrugs>

Yeah my roosters are 7-8 months they are not aggressive age this age it's inexperience and hormones I have 1 that acts like a baboon when he sees the ladies lol
I just don't have enough hens yet
You should recommend he put that rooster in with the hens and leave him because hormones with die down after a few days and all will be good

Back
Top Bottom