Buff Orp...cockerel or pullet?

wistlindixie

Songster
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Is my sweet B.O. a cockerel or pullet? He/she is 6 1/2 weeks old.
81091_bufforp6.jpg

81091_bufforp5.jpg

81091_bufforp4.jpg

81091_bufforp3.jpg

81091_bufforp2.jpg

81091_bufforp1.jpg

Thanks in advance.........and my first guess has been rooster

Thank you for posting this... I have 2 BO and cannot figure out what they are I say they are male and female but I am not possitive...

I am going to say pullet. I have had plenty of BO chicks and my roosters combs and waddles were alot bigger than that. i have had some pullets that had big combs. I thought that they were for sure roosters but then they laid an egg. Haha! So my guess is still pullet. Congrats she is beautiful.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree Pullet....My GF was over tonight to help me sex chicks and I have almost like this she said a pullet no spur starts. by 6/7 weeks if its a roo she said you would see a bump where the spur will come in?? any clue as to the correctness of this she has chickens ducks turkeys ect. for over 20 years. Kim

Quote:
I agree Pullet....My GF was over tonight to help me sex chicks and I have almost like this she said a pullet no spur starts. by 6/7 weeks if its a roo she said you would see a bump where the spur will come in?? any clue as to the correctness of this she has chickens ducks turkeys ect. for over 20 years. Kim

I used to use this method some and still do. But it is not always 100% reliable. I have seen hens who develop spurs. But most likely then not if there isnt a spur starting then it is a pullet if there is it is a roo. Especially at 6/7 weeks old. But to much younger you cant be sure because all baby chicks have that little bump.

Back
Top Bottom