Confirm my suspicions, please!

AlliO

Chirping
Mar 19, 2024
Hi there, I’m only just over a week in to starting my first flock and I’m loving it! However in my obsession, I’ve started doing some research into sexing chicks… can anyone confirm my suspicions- are these two little chicks cockerels compared to the others in their respective pictures which I believe are pullets? Production reds and buff orps :) also, what is the expected temperament in these breeds if they do turn out to be Roos?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 15
It is too early to really know, so you'll have to wait a few weeks.
But, Production Reds are Sex-Linked I believe. I think the males should be white, then the females should be brown. If I'm right on that your Production Red would be a female.
Male Buff Orpingtons tend to pop those combs up earlier, so you may be able to tell that ones gender sooner than the recommended age to know gender.

It is too early to really know, so you'll have to wait a few weeks.
But, Production Reds are Sex-Linked I believe. I think the males should be white, then the females should be brown. If I'm right on that your Production Red would be a female.
Male Buff Orpingtons tend to pop those combs up earlier, so you may be able to tell that ones gender sooner than the recommended age to know gender.
Thank you, Tookie! I had seen some conflicting info on whether production reds are sex linked- if so I’d be thrilled! Good to know about the trend of the male buff Orpingtons getting their combs earlier. I’ll keep this in mind and be patient, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom