Buff Orp - missing since May 28 turns up 3 weeks later (photos)

Well, the sweet little gal is showing a lot of improvement. She didn't do much the first couple hours she was outside today, but after that she was all over the yard. Sunny was able to grab discarded watermelon, grapes and corn on the cob when she was out, and our hen was very happy when those treats arrived.

We kept the rest of the flock in a new fenced yard we completed yesterday, and gave "the patient" the run of the property away from being harrassed.

What's amazing is that if you just look at her, one would not know what an ordeal she survived. But picking her up, after wrestling with her sisters, you know the difference immediately. She lost so much weight and is so weak, but she's getting there.

main.php

main.php

main.php

I'm getting grumpy. We have a SLW who is the target of someone's agression as her back is all torn up, and while we keep putting this "no-peck" stuff on her, she apparently keeps getting pecked at.

The "patient" has been allowed the run of the yard the past couple days, while the rest of the flock are behind a fence in a large area we have closed up for them. But the BO keeps haning out next to her flock, just outside the fence, wanting to rejoin them.

So the moment we try to place her into the fenced area, the bareback SLW immediately begins to stalk and attack her.

I guess we just keep them all seperated for whatever time it takes for her to regain her strength and some weight, but what then? Just let them sort it out? I hate this pecking order crap with the hens.

So glad to hear she is recovering. I lost a beautiful Buff Orp to broodiness. She too sat on nest of nonfertile eggs for a month and wouldn't eat no matter what I tried and got so weak that by the time she left the nest and went back up to roost, she fell of and died. Glad your story had a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom