Buff orp not feeling good

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have a bo that is 32 weeks and the last 2 days she just stands in one spot in the yard. Not looking for food or running with the rest of them. She seems to be huddled close to her body as if she is cold. The rest of the flock and the 7-6 week olds are acting normally. Any ideas. I don't get the same egg production every day so I have no idea if she is still laying. Some opinions needed. Thanks John

John, So sorry your hen is ill. Separate her into a nice comfy warm STRESS FREE place (such as a good sized dog cage with thick layer of pine shavings on its floor, and kept in a quiet room) with lots of good food and water. Watch to see eating, pooping and egg laying habits.
Check her body for any evidence of bugs. How is her breathing? Any discharges? Any possible injuries?
These symptoms are unfortunately the same for so many things (anything from eating something bad to a virus to an injury) that it's hard to tell what's going on. I had a hen like this that I brought to the vet - blood work revealed that she either had significant infection or inflammation from unknown cause, so the symptoms were just treated with antibiotic and also anti-inflammatory. She completely rallied but I honestly don't think she would have made it without the meds as whatever it was hit her hard...
I hope your hen will be alright.
JJ

I took a good look at her today and find no bugs. I put her in a dog crate as suggested and she is not eating. There is no fight left in her. No signs of injury. There are no vets in the area that will look at chickens. I hate to say it but a hen is cheap compared to vet bills and meds. My biggest worry is that the rest of the flock might catch what is ailing her. What do you folks think? John

For me, they're no different than my cats who were free initially, but priceless really. All of them have the same hope to live long and well. Not that it's easy by any stretch - work many hours to be able to provide med care....

Anyway, to your poor hen. I really hope she can win this battle so let's see.......
Has she ever been wormed? What does her poop look like? Wormer may take an additional toll on her and if she doesn't have worms that would be unfortunate but....

Also, I normally wouldn't suggest this but if she can't receive any testing very quickly to get at what the problem is, her only chance might be a shot in the dark with antibiotic (immediately). Which antibiotic may depend on what you can get your hands on really fast (and thus it may not work). Antibiotic, and the warmth, quiet, hydration, etc. noted above. When Ellie got very lethargic suddenly on Labor Day (the hen mentioned above) she was put on baytril - she turned around very quickly but I also acted so very quickly - and it was a stroke of luck that her problem was apparently bacterial in nature. I don't think you'll be able to get baytril at a store tho dog/cat vets offices do have it. The dosage would have to be adjusted for a chicken. If you are not going to do any of this, this bird may just suffer till it finally dies, not a good option either IMHO...so another thing for consideration is humanely euthanizing somehow. She's so young though - it would be lovely to turn this around so she could have a decent lifespan.

I wish we could all know what's wrong more easily, and how to help them. I'm hoping she can get well
fl.gif

JJ

John
I would suggest a broad spectrum antibiotic as a stab in the dark since you really dont know what you are dealing with.I always buy Terramycin soluble powder at my local farm supply just mix in drinking water according to the directions on the package..It has helped several birds for me over the years,,,Hope your hen gets well.....Let us know ok.

John Too

I will check out my supplier tomorrow to see what they offer. I just can't see putting tons of money into a hen. I maybe cruel to some but putting a bunch of money into a chicken is a waste. Sorry if I offended anyone here. John

Back
Top Bottom