Buff orp or buff rock?

I too ordered the "buff orps" from MM. Out of 15 hens, and 2 roos....I have 2 roo BO.....12 BO hens, 1 Buff Rock...amd 2 buff..ummm, green legged ones. I called MM, they gave me a 12$ credit...whoopee!
sad.png
Now I have to think....what do I do with the yellow and green legged ones? I was really wanting pure breds....now I am not sure WHAT I have.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking...either that, or I had images in my mind of a tired/bored employee saying, "Sure, that looks good."

Not to hijack your post, but i have some delawares and they are supposed to have yellow legs, one has yellow legs, one has yellow legs with a green tint and one has GREEN legs! I ordered from Ideal. Is this a breeding problem or are there other breeds that look like delawares that are not delawares?

I have buff orps, and their legs are a light pink. I would say that you have a buff rock. Is there such a thing as a buff wyandotte?
Kristyne

I just saw a buff wyandotte on Feathersite, so yes. I don't think mine is, however, because of the comb shape.

Sounds like there's definitely some careless breeding going on.

Hatchery birds usually aren't good quality. My salmon faverolles from mcmurray were dark brown instead of salmon eww and my black cochin had brown all throughout it. My crested indian runner duck from ideal has the teeniest crest i've ever seen at first glance you can't even tell she has a crest. lol

So are they kind of like the chicken equivalent of puppy mills?

And what happens to all the chickies they don't sell, or to the roosters nobody wants? I hate to ponder these things.

here is a picture of my buff Orpingtons.......you can see a set of yellow legs for comparison behind her on the SLW
DSC_0239.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a flock of buf orps this year (from McMurray) and the one that was marked to be male (I ordered 22 pullets and 1 cockeriel) has yellow legs all the rest have pink. He got his comb early and now the ladies are getting theirs. seems to be the same shape. I didn't know there was a difference.... He's a little bigger than the rest and acts like he's in charge. And he doesn't get along with my golden comet cockeriel.... so you are trying to tell me that he's not even a buff orp! well there goes my hope for breeding a nice big flock of orps....

bo2.jpg

bo1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom