Buff Orp personality?

I bought BO's last year because of what I read about how quiet, docile and friendly they were. I feel like I was misled. None of mine have been quiet, docile OR friendly. They avoid me at all costs even though they have been handled a lot since they were 2 days old. It sounds like thirty 12 year old squealing girls out there most of the time, and for no apparent reason. They have plenty of space, food, shelter, fresh water, nest boxes etc.
I gave away all but 3 of them already and don't plan to get any more. I'm incubating some eggs right now, but mostly from my mixed girl, with a couple BO for my niece. (she begged me)
It may just be the line of breeding they come from, I don't know. I got mine from Cackle Hatchery.

Quote:
I have one Buff Orpington, Oprah, and she is my favorite bird. She is calm, sweet, gentle and friendly. She will sing the occasional "egg song" however and I think that is probably true of most chickens. We live on 2.17 acres and are about an acre away from our neighbors on both sides and they can hear the "singing" (I have one neighbor who made a point of letting me know that, but I gave her a dozen eggs and I think that softened her propensity to find something to complain about just a little bit). Good luck with yours (your BO AND your neighbor!).

Last edited:
If noise is a concern, just make sure not to keep any roos. They are the noisy ones. Any chicken will need to voice herself from time to time about something. When BOs are said to be a quieter breed, its the overall demeanor as compared to other breeds. That also doesn't guarantee there might not be a noisy BO. They are individuals.

Best of luck on your chicken adventures!

I don't have much experience with other chicken breeds, so can't say whether they are much quieter than usual, but the ones we had were fairly quiet usually. They do make a lot of cute small noises, and were very friendly because we handled them a lot(my sister and I when we were kids). Seems all chickens make a fuss at egg laying time, but otherwise they were fine- except the roosters will crow. I have heard that silkie roosters are pretty quiet- has anyone tried keeping a silkie with their hens to try to keep things quieter? I think I would worry the girls would pick on him, but maybe not if raised together? Perhaps it depends on how many you have also..? I love buff orpingtons, never had a problem with them and I hope you enjoy them!
smile.png

Also, if it matters, our orpingtons came from Murray McMurray Hatchery.

Last edited:
Yeah, no way I could have roosters. I really hope MPC sexes them correctly, I hear they are good about that.

That's funny someone said the barred rocks are quiet. My barred rocks cluck incessantly. And when I'm not around, they give a loud bawk bawk if something is weird, otherwise it's "brrrrrr brrrrrrr brrrrrr". My neighbors here it, but they were farm kids and like the sound. I have 5 buff orp chicks in the brooder. I think they are the prettiest! Silly reason to get a chicken, huh?

Every chicken will make noise. Mine are generally quiet, they are RIR's. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times i have gone out to see what is going on when there is an almighty ruckus. Normally i come back inside egg in hand!. I also have 2 5 week old BR chicks, they tweet when they are apart but they have been together since day 1. The Belgian D'uccle is a loner and makes noises to find the others but she is small her volume is much lower.

My Buff, Ginger, is generally pretty quiet (except for egg-laying, of course), but she does mutter and purr (yes, she really purrs). Since I got her in trade for a beautiful but LOUD BC Marans roo, I'm not sure if she was a hatchery chick or not. I will say that she's quite a Mama's girl, always wants to be held and petted, follows me everywhere. (or anyone who will feed her! LOL) The 2 barred rocks, on the other hand, are quite chatty and not as eager to be petted. They tolerate it briefly and then give me the stink eye. I have a vague suspicion one of them is a roo in disguise (don't ask- she's a bit of a tyrant!) Go for the buffs, they're lovely birds. Enjoy!

I have two BO hens in with 9 BR hens and 1 BR roo... Hands down the BO are the better birds, not to slight the BR. I recommend spending at lot of time handling them as chicks, it will pay dividend when they are grown up. In terms of noise, with the exception of the egg laying these two girls keep to themselves and never have made any fuss.

I currently have 2 BO's, one is a screamer and the other is as quiet as a mouse. I had 2 others in the past that were noisy also. I prefer the Barred Rocks though,they are pretty quiet and defintely more friendly.

Back
Top Bottom