Buff orp rules the roost

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have a 17 week OEGB roo who has established his rule in the coop except for one 1-1yr old buff orp hen. No other roos in the family. He does his mating dance and mates with to other bantams but when the noisy mating happens the buff orp comes to break up the commotion pecking at the roo. Will this behavior ever change to let him be king?

My guess will be yes. I had a black tail jap roo who was subordinate to only one hen, a black austrolope, she did to this roo what you explain, she completely bullied him. Well once the rooster found out he had equipment (spurs) that worked really well he went after her and he went after her with vengance.
He bloodied, chased, flogged, pecked this poor hen without any sympathy. I had to eventually cage the rooster to keep him from killing her, I am sure had I not done so he would have eventually killed her.
Once the growing season is over I let my chickens free range and they now live "peacefully". The hen stays as far away from the roo as possible and if he comes after her she runs like the wind. Fortunately he does not chase her too far and i have not seen him flog her since they have been free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom