Newly added chicken & behavior changes

Where are my manners!!! I didn't notice. Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

You don't need to do that kind of stuff. I can read what you write to Aart.

To me that explains why she is not laying. Before a hen starts laying she stores up some excess fat. That fat is what she mostly lives off of while broody so she can take care of her eggs instead of having to be out looking for food and water. When she rebuilds that fat reserve she will start laying again.

I keep a fake egg (golf ball) in the nests all the time. You don't get guarantees but it can help show them where to lay. So it might help and should not hinder.
Thank you!!! I’m glad to be here. And learning a lot just reading through the other forums. I really appreciate everyone’s advice.

I have assumed a lot of this is because of the rooster and the coincidental age of the hens being near to laying themselves. I truly hope the new Cochin is not egg bound and am praying she lays on her own soon otherwise I will contact our vet. Any tips on how I can check for a stuck egg?
Hens that are egg bound often act sick. They don't make much movement and don't get up to eat or drink. A couple popular ways to try to loosen the vent area are soaking the chicken's vent area in warm water or putting vaseline on the vent. You can also look other ways up.

Just wanted to update—
The flock is settling down a bit from a few days ago. The roosted has mounted at least one of my buffs. The coloring of the Cochin hen has definitely improved! I couldn’t believe what a difference in her comb and waddle until I looked back on pictures from when I brought her home. So hopefully everything is working itself out! 😁

Back
Top Bottom