Buff Orp Squatting

maurerwerks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sunapee
My B.O. is almost 16 weeks old and has been squatting when I pet her for a few days now. She's kind of young for that isn't she. My roo doesn't even get it yet. He looks at her like she's kind of nuts. I also have a B.A. who is about the same age who is beginning to show signs of squatting also. Do I just have a flock of precocious floosies? Or are they just practicing?
D.gif

My BO Lulu likes it rough, apparently, so it wouldn't surprise me about your girls behavior, lol. Mine only started laying at 24 weeks, and is working on egg # 4 right now at the beginning of week 25.

My BA shows no interest in squatting at the same age, and I expect eggs or chicken dinner from her over the next couple weeks.

Most of my pullets start sqatting when I pet or pick them up around 6 weeks.

ETA- I have BA, RIR, Silkie, and crossbred pullets.

Last edited:
I don't think they are doing it because they want to mate, I think it's just instinctive to be submissive.

Quote:
so... - not precocious - maybe backward
hu.gif
oh well
Why do we wish so hard for eggs when we KNOW it's too early to expect that of our chickies? I suppose there will be eggs when there are eggs and I'll just have to buck up! (I just read what I wrote - maybe the chickies need to "buck up")

Quote:
so... - not precocious - maybe backward
hu.gif
oh well
Why do we wish so hard for eggs when we KNOW it's too early to expect that of our chickies? I suppose there will be eggs when there are eggs and I'll just have to buck up! (I just read what I wrote - maybe the chickies need to "buck up")

It's hard not to!

For me when one would lay, I would just shift my focus to the next one expected to lay. I'm 2/3 of the way there, waiting for #3 to have a go. It's funny because their lay sequence is the same as their pecking order so far.

In my case, I want my #3 to hurry up and lay so that I have irrevocable proof that Ruby is not Rooby/Rudy. I swear it's the most androgynous chicken I've ever seen... not that I've seen many chickens.

Quote:
This is a full on squat, with wings raised?

Yes, that's what mine do- the whole thing.
smile.png

It drives me NUTS waiting for those first eggs from a new batch of youngsters!!!

Since we are talking about squatting- my California White hen, Christine, tries to roost in my house every night, even though she has a NICE house herself. I leave the door open because the cat comes in and out, and I like the fresh air... A couple of nights ago, I walked into the living room, and there was Christine, sitting on my caffee table! As soon as she saw me, she squatted down, wings spread and all- it was ridiculous! LOL Silly girl, but I think she's great.
smile.png
She's a good layer, too.

Back
Top Bottom