Buff Orphington, or not?

I think I have FINALLY figured out what she is. At the same time they had the first batch of Buff's they had the Ideal 236's which are from what I have read a White Leghorn. So Cora is most likely a 236.

Now I suspect that my Danish Brown Leghorn is a rooster, labeled as "heavy layer pullets", which I will have to find a home for. So, I'll be picking up a few more chicks. I only need one to make my 8 again, but you can't have just one chick, so I'll get 3 and make it an even 10. My options are Buff's, 236's, or Amerucnas (this is the spelling from their website).

Last edited:
You might want to post a pic of that Leghorn. If you're going by comb, it may be female. Those girls get big ol combs very young! The best way to tell with that breed is color on the breast as they feather in. Females are a light brown/salmon color, males are black. Just don't want you getting rid of a perfectly good pullet by mistake!

You might want to post a pic of that Leghorn. If you're going by comb, it may be female. Those girls get big ol combs very young! The best way to tell with that breed is color on the breast as they feather in. Females are a light brown/salmon color, males are black. Just don't want you getting rid of a perfectly good pullet by mistake!

Thanks for the input! I should have been more clear, I'll have to hear the first crow before i decide to rehome;-) This particular chick has been bold from day one, very bossy too. Also her tail is more fanned out than the others, but I only have the one DBL so nothing to compare. Her chest is more of a rust color, definitely not black.

Back
Top Bottom