Buff orphington rooster

A bad worm infection could definitely cause him to be a little off balance. The worms are taking all of his nutrients, so it’s kind of like if you’ve ever been super hungry or had low blood sugar and felt a bit woozy. I would treat first as @Wyorp Rock suggested, and if after he’s treated and has had a little while to re-nourish himself he’s still a bit wobbly, then start looking at other possible causes.
Edit: while I mostly agree with @Wyorp Rock, Safeguard (specifically that for goats) and Valbazen are both effective against tapeworms in poultry.
I just examined him this morning and it seems his under side is really red and inflamed. His vent is clear and not red but his belly is really bad. What would cause that? He also has formed like a red irritated stripe down his leg?

Can you post pictures?
My first year with chickens so I’m fairly new to this. The stripe down the leg I’ve heard to be hormonal since his is a rooster?

I gave him an epson salt bath and put him in his run to sunbathe. He is still skinny too from I’m assuming the worms but I feel like he has gained a little of it back since I worked him last.

Attachments

• 99BDEDAC-6906-452C-B3FA-64134A95A4B5.jpeg
    99BDEDAC-6906-452C-B3FA-64134A95A4B5.jpeg
    644.1 KB · Views: 3
Some roos have the stripe naturally... I've never heard of them having it from something else... But again, I have very little knowledge on this subject.

My first year with chickens so I’m fairly new to this. The stripe down the leg I’ve heard to be hormonal since his is a rooster?

I gave him an epson salt bath and put him in his run to sunbathe. He is still skinny too from I’m assuming the worms but I feel like he has gained a little of it back since I worked him last.
Where it is red, does it feel swollen or warm?

Now that I think about it, yeah he has. Would that cause to irritation?
Yes, if tapeworms have been using all his nutrients, he's going to be more tired, thus leading him to lay down more. It's fairly common in sick chickens that have spent a lot of time on their bellies to see redness and irritation. Give him a few days to build up his strength. If he seems to be getting worse or that belly starts to seem really swollen, then we might need to look at something else. Try giving him some scrambled eggs and electrolyte water along with his regular food.

Back
Top Bottom