Buff Orphington Rooster

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I finally did it, I ordered my first batch of chicks all buff orphingtons.
wee.gif

Which leads me to my question.

For those who have BO roo what is your experience with them? Are they aggressive
or laid back?

I choose the orphingtons because they are cold hardy and was told that the roosters are a little
more laid back. Just wanting to know what the opinion was of other back yard chicken owners.

Thanks,

My BO rooster is very gentle, and somewhat shy. Though he is the biggest roo I have he is also the lowest in the pecking order, the ladies love him though because he isn't so aggressive as the others sometimes can be to them. He has never harmed a soul as far as I've seen.
smile.png
kids just love him when they can catch him he just will relax in your arms and chill, never once has he pecked or scratched me since I got him at a day old
smile.png
A big sweetie. Have fun with your new babies! I love BO's
roll.png

Last edited:
I've had to separate my B.O. roosters from the hens, because the hens are bald
sad.png
The roosters don't seem to be particularly rough, but I've read the orps have softer feathers than other chickens. (Also, I have 2 roosters for 11 hens, since I have a closed flock and need a backup rooster).

They do seem calm, and easy to train. I taught them to stay three feet from me. They've never been any trouble - even in their small bachelor pens, they don't bother me while I'm changing the food and water.

As with people, you will find variations in each individual. Our BO roo is a good rooster, but not a good pet. He protects his women, but they have bald backs. He'll jump on my kids, but my kids are learning to show dominance and not be scared. My husband really likes our rooster because he is a good manly rooster. He tries to get me to join the flock, but I resist his offers of pretty rocks and sticks. I'll like him more as dinner;)

Hi All,

Thank you for your opinions. I LOL when I read what Nestled Chickens had to say about not joining his flock. That is cute.
I also would like to know how Mulewagon trained their rooster to stay 3 feet away from them, that is amazing!!

I am learning so much about BO roo, thank so much for the info.
thumbsup.gif

The Buff Orphington rooster that we selected for our flock turned aggressive against humans. After tolerating him for a few weeks, he spurred me in the leg when I was carrying our baby on my back in a carrier. He became rooster stew that weekend.

The BO hens that we had didn't prove very sturdy either (dying in the first two years), and were not of the sweetest dispositions.

We found the Black Australorp hens and roos to be far more personable. They're the backbone of our backyard flock now, though I am now very much in love with the more lively (but peaceable) Plymouth Rock breed as well.

I love my Orpingtons! I have one with a real oddball personality but even she is friendly and personable.

We got a Roo by accident last year when we bought our first chickens, 6 BO's. I tried everything but he would not be nice to me. A good protector of his girls but I couldn't take my eyes off of him so he had to go. I hope you have better luck!

Wow! so some of the BO Roos can be pretty big jerks.
I do hope that I do get a good one. This is my first time
doing chickens so I am a little nervous about having a rooster,
since the chickens will be free ranging it is probably best to have one.

Thanks for your responces.

Do a search I have read someone here on BYC that can tame his roos very easily, even the worst offenders get a second chance.

HE separates the roo and feeds it only from a cup held by a him for a few weeks), then by hand, then picks up the roo and carries it while doing chores.Puts him back in cage. THis is repeated endlessly. He then has a nice roo.

GL

Back
Top Bottom