buff orphington with irratated red sac around vent

emariep

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
I have what sounds like a problem with a possible abcess. She is about 7 or 8 weeks, and yesterday I noticed she was having trouble pooping, it was not coming out all the way. I also noticed her laying funny out in the run, sort of on her side. When I checked her closer today, I noticed a swollen, red sac around her vent. It almost looks like she's getting turned inside out. She seems to be pooping o.k., still slowly but it looks normal. There is a pretty foul smell. I've cleaned her off with soap and water, should I feed her yogurt as well? She's separated from the other hens, I'm keeping an eye on her. Any advice is appreciated, I'm pretty worried
sad.png

Sounds like a vent prolapse.

I've never had to deal with one myself, but if you will search the BYC site using those key words, you should find lots of very helpful info.

And even though its for a rough reason...
welcome-byc.gif

Keep us posted.

It does sound like prolapsed vent. Was she purchased as a sexed chick (pullet run)? Vent sexing can cause early prolapse. Also straining to pass feces. Keep the area clean and apply a small amount of preparation H to keep the swelling down. For a large bird, you would attempt to gently push it back in, but I wouldn't recommend this for a little one.

Could you post a pic so we can be sure this is what's going on with her?

Thanks for the advice. I purchased her at a feed store, I am pretty sure she was sexed. She's definitely straining to pass feces, she squawks when that happens. There's a fair amount of discharge that seems to be coming out around the area as she's trying to push feces, looks clear but there's also some whitish stuff, as well as blood. She is also refusing food and water, mostly she just stands there, seems to be in pain.

Here is a picture: you can copy and paste this link, I don't know why the photo doesn't display (I did use the code.)
photo.php

It doesn't look like prolapse, but the pic is not real clear. It looks more like a blockage of sorts. I'm not sure what you can do for that, but hopefully someone will see this and offer some advice.

Based on the pics and info I've seen on prolapsed vents, it does look similar but I'm not positive. She doesn't look worse this morning, but not better either. It doesn't help that she has poop all over her backside. I'm cleaning her and applied prep. H last night and this morning. She was upset last night when it got dark and she was all alone in her cage in the house. I hold her and pet her a lot. I am a bit worried about the stress she's under being away from the flock, but I'm more worried about putting her back in the coop where she could possibly get worse or spread an infection.

I'll take her to the vet today just to verify what is wrong, hopefully he will have some good news. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks!

I took my little chickie to the vet today: she does indeed have prolapse and also another wound on her backside. Vitamins and antibiotics and we're keeping an eye on her. She seems stronger today, is eating and looks happier.

Back
Top Bottom