buff orphingtons

Here is my buff!! She is 21 weeks old and she is SOOOOOO not ready to lay anytime soon!! At least my black sex links started to lay yesterday, so I am not so anxious anymore!! ;)

I have two old buffs, 7-8 yrs old. One isn't doing too well and just lays about in the coop. The other is the boss of everyone. She likes to instruct others on what to do. She lays an egg every single day. She is a hatchery bird and she has been a much more reliable layer than any of my others.

MandalaMaMa, are you sure your BO girl is 29 weeks old?  My BO just turned 19 weeks old this week and she just started laying 5 days ago.  So far we've gotten 4 eggs in 5 days.  Our Buffy's comb and wattles are huge and red and she's much more filled out than the buff in your pic.  Sorry I don't have a pic of her right now, it's pouring rain.  I'll try to get one of her later today. 

When we got her on June 11 and I was told that she was 6 wks old and was born on May 1. My mistake -- just checked my notes. I thought it was March 1. She is only 20 wks old. Man I feel so much better but like a fool. Thank you for questioning it otherwise I might not have.checked.

Last edited:
Oh, cool! So she's just 1 week older than our girls!! I wouldn't doubt that she will start maturing soon. Our Buffy is a little overachiever. Our Australorp has been squatting for 3 weeks and isn't laying and our RIR has been egg songing for more than 3 weeks and no eggs from her, either! Our EE is never going to lay an egg. LOL!

I noticed that there is diareah on the walkway and one chicken-(the one that is younger and not as developed as 2 others out of 4) is now laying in the nesting box and not communicating as actively as the others. I have never seen one of the girls laying in a box- they are 18 to 20 weeks and they PERCH.
They have had two days of a watermelon treat and perhaps that was too much. .
Im worried about this younger girl. ANY suggestions?
Thanks for your expertise!!

Hi ! Just thought I would give you an up date. While on vacation this summer my pet sitter called to tell me that my BO and another chicken was taken by a fox or coyote . I got another BO from the County Fair in August. This BO lays an egg for me every day!!!

Oh, cool!  So she's just 1 week older than our girls!!  I wouldn't doubt that she will start maturing soon.  Our Buffy is a little overachiever.  Our Australorp has been squatting for 3 weeks and isn't laying and our RIR has been egg songing for more than 3 weeks and no eggs from her, either!  Our EE is never going to lay an egg.  LOL!

Thanks Chickiegirl - I'll keep you posted. She's not really showing any signs yet other than the red on her face. She is the dominant one in my six but my Delaware is always challenging her. My other 5 are 3 wks younger but the Delaware and silver Wyandotte seem to be developing faster. It will be fun to see who lays first. I also have a New Hampshire and 2 EE.

Last edited:
You might need more sunlight for them each day to help them lay. Or indoor lighting in the coop.

When mine are ready for laying I make an mashed egg salad (yes I said egg salad out of 6 hard boiled eggs (shells and all) placed in the food processor until they form a paste then give this to the hens as well as extra lighting.) It usually does the trick within a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom