Buff Orphinton chick with neck support problems

tripletmumm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hood River, Oregon
I have a two day old Buff Orphington chick. Its head arches back til it rests on its back. It arches so much that the chick flips itself over on it's back. I can take my finger and gently hold the head in the right position but everytime I remove my finger, the head goes slowly back. While holding its head straight, it has pecked at something on my hand, so I know it can lower it's head on it's own. The legs also are kind of stiff. Is there something I can do for the chick? Will it grow out of it? Do I need to create a "collar" for the chick so it's head stays up, or do you think it's a lost cause. I am unfortunately unable to attach a picture of the chick because I am a new poster.

Thank you for any comments.

Gayle

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I think you chick has something called star gazing, I am going to send you a link about it and what to do, at the being some of the posters talk about culling, thats not why i sent this go to the bottom and read what star gazing is and then you will decide whats best for your chick. please keep us updated on it, and hope this helps. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1955471

Thank you SO MUCH for your information. After looking at all the information you provided, I am positive this is what the chick has. Still hoping it will heal itself in a few days (as I believe it has to do with how it was in the egg), but I've also been giving it some yeast in the hopes of fixing any vitamin B deficiencies.

Gayle

Back
Top Bottom