Buff Orpington and Light Brahma Cross

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York
I've tried to find online anywhere some pics of buff orp and light brahma cross chicks. I just got 3 chicks and wanted to see what they might look like. Well,I guess this thread is for me to share my chicks pics as they grow, so that others who are curious in the future can get an idea.Also for anyone who may want to share pics of their buff orp and light brahma crosses. The Buff Orp is a roo,and the light brahma is the hen. I also tried feather sexing and believe there is 1 female and 2 males.

You bred non-typical red sexlinks. Since buffs have such pale down, it will be difficult at this point to judge which chick is silver-base color and which is gold-base color. As they feather in the males will have their mother's coloring. The females will have their father's buff coloring.

You bred non-typical red sexlinks. Since buffs have such pale down, it will be difficult at this point to judge which chick is silver-base color and which is gold-base color. As they feather in the males will have their mother's coloring. The females will have their father's buff coloring.

Yes,i'm aware they're sexlinks,and that it's hard to tell before they feather. I'm new to feather sexing on my own,but have seen my friend who has yrs experience. This thread is so I can look back as well.

Some birds feather faster, some feather slower. I've had slow feathering females.
This is picture of some of my Barred Rocks. Same age, same source. The chick on the right was very slow to feather in. You can see how her back was still downy and she hadn't gotten her tail feathers yet. The chick next to her was much more feathered in. Both are female.

The Light Brahma hen can only pass her silver color to her male chicks. Silver is dominant over buff. If the chicks were male, they would be silver. No silver chicks means no males.

Some birds feather faster, some feather slower. I've had slow feathering females. This is picture of some of my Barred Rocks. Same age, same source. The chick on the right was very slow to feather in. You can see how her back was still downy and she hadn't gotten her tail feathers yet. The chick next to her was much more feathered in. Both are female. The Light Brahma hen can only pass her silver color to her male chicks. Silver is dominant over buff. If the chicks were male, they would be silver. No silver chicks means no males.
How were they sexed? I hope i'm not coming off as trying to argue with you, I would prefer if all 3 were females obviously! Lol! I'm new to this,so willing to learn!

Back
Top Bottom