Buff Orpington - are they good winter egg layers?

I have two Buff Orpingtons and I am getting 2 eggs a week from them. One of my Wyandottes is molting so she is not laying. The other Wyandotte is laying an egg a day. The Olive Egger is laying an egg a day. None of my other hens are laying. They include two Ameraucanas, one Rhode Island red, and one Easter Eggers.

We do not have a heating lamp in the coop so maybe that is why we are getting so few eggs.

Try a heat lamp or artificial day light in the morning- it might reset them. Buffs are usually great winter layers!

Orpingtons are my favorite hens - I'd keep them even if they didn't lay because they are such delightful birds. Mine are great layers, and winter does not seem to slow them much. During the summer I get 12 eggs a day from my 15 hens. In the winter, I drop to about 10. The only time they completely stop laying is when they are broody or molting. I don't see a lot of difference between my breeds - 3 orpingtons, 2 barred rocks, 1 brown leghorn, 1 Rhode Island red, 8 production reds.

I have 10 orps and I was getting one egg per bird every other day during the coldest/darkest days this past winter. And it was very cold (I live in Maine). So I would have to say that they are good winter layers./img/smilies/smile.png

Do you keep a heat lamp in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom