Buff Orpington Chick Won't stand up and walk, please help!!

nick101

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 12, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
He is one week old, and he will stand up for a little while. When he walks he fals to his side. What could be the problem and how can I cure him? please need help ASAP!!

Last edited:
Try and drop some liquid childrens vitamins or bird vitamins on edge of beak and feed it some wet cat food or dry cat food wetted down or cooked egg yolk. It may be a vitamin deficiency. It may need vitamins and protein ASAP. Good luck.

Last edited:
anyone else? he walks around but after a while he falls, he can stand up and move his foot but he seems weak. he is only one week old should I tie his legs with a bandaid like with spraddle legged chicks?

Does he HAVE spraddle legs? If not then dont tape his legs... are his toes curly? The POLYVISOL (children liquid A-B-D vitamins) is a good suggestion (three drops in beak once a day for a week) but he may be dehydrated...put electrolytes in the waterer (gatorade or pedialyte will do in a pinch) ...those chickies get dehydrated real quick and this will cause them to stagger around... dip beak in water and ensure he is drinking enough. Are you giving medicated starter?

Last edited:
no just regular starter, no his legs aren't spraddled, his toes aren't curly at all. right now he is laying down and resting he can get up to his waterer and feeder, just that his leg can't support him that much. his legg isn't firm i'll try to post pics if you think that would help.

unless you have a particular exception to using med starter I strongly urge you to do so... cocci is so very common and kills quick...even if your birds do recover from a bout with cocci it will often leave their intestines damaged which will leave a compromised immune system.

Last edited:
ok thanks will try getting him the med feed then. we'll see how he wakes up tommorow
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom