Buff Orpington Egg Color

Peggy-Sue

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
What color/shade do orpingtons lay? The little research I've done I thought it was light brown. Our orpington Darla just started laying a week ago and her eggs are practically white... Some of them have a slight shade of tan. In my research I found that white egg layers have a white skin patch behind their ear... Soooooo I went out to take a good look at Darla and found this (see photo). What do you guys think... Is she even an orpington??? Or do some orpingtons have this patch???

Egg from today

All the eggs we've gotten from her!

My 4 Buffys for 2+ years with the breed, have all been light to medium brown layers. The hen in the picture looks like a buffy to me. Sorry about no picture.

that is a buff, and the earlobe has a white spot, but is still red. she should lay light brown eggs, but maybe there's something in her genetics that makes her lay the white eggs??? if the is any tint to them, I guess they are still passable as light brown eggs

Is she built like a BO? You know, big and very fluffy? I'm guessing that the hatchery crossed in a white-layer breed to improve production and you're seeing evidence of the cross. I'm just curious whether it shows anywhere else.

That's awesome! I've noticed of our two buffs, one seems to be consistently laying larger and darker brown eggs. They other seems to lay just a little smaller and lighter. I don't put too much stock in the ear color, but if it matches it matches! Every once in a while I get a super light egg, but who knows who laid it (of our six chickens, three breeds).

Back
Top Bottom