Buff Orpington first egg!!

Courtney orange

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hi everyone! New chicken mumma here s

one of my Buff orpingtons laid her first egg two days ago, and is now sitting in the nesting box coming up 1.5 hours! Is this normal? Now she’s started laying should I be watching for an egg every day/ second day or could it be a while before we see another?
Also is it normal to sit for hours?

Congratulations on the first egg! I have a hen who sits for 1-2 hours when she lays. She's done that pretty much since she started.

This is a new thing for them too.

Congratulations on the first egg! I have a hen who sits for 1-2 hours when she lays. She's done that pretty much since she started.

This is a new thing for them too.
Thank you! Such a crazy day! My other girl ended up going in the box 2 mins after I posted this and they both stayed in there for about an hour-
Then they both emerged at the same time and walked out onto the floor and both laid their eggs on the woodchips at the same time!!!

Hi everyone! New chicken mumma here s

one of my Buff orpingtons laid her first egg two days ago, and is now sitting in the nesting box coming up 1.5 hours! Is this normal? Now she’s started laying should I be watching for an egg every day/ second day or could it be a while before we see another?
Also is it normal to sit for hours?
It should be normal; I wouldn’t worry about it. The time my hens take vary for each chicken, but they generally start laying more quickly once they get the hang of it. Congrats on your first egg(s)! 🥳 🎉

Back
Top Bottom