Buff Orpington Hen or Roo

S/he stands taller than my
Buffies, and the comb and wattles are bigger and redder than mine. I’m no expert - not even sure what I would look for in feathers - but my gals have a somewhat different look. I have no idea if these are variations or sex differences.

Does she squat?
I haven’t seen her squat. She is very timid around me and runs like a dickens if I try to catch her.

Those legs too. After looking at pics of mine it became pretty evident but man those buffs are super similar. (And there are big variations inside the breed). I'm really surprised this one is not crowing yet though.
Her legs are humongous and her feet are as big as my hand but this is what she looked like about a month or so ago. Looks like a hen to me

Attachments

• 9EE92E7B-6C24-4A2C-8103-A5915C161D11.jpeg
    9EE92E7B-6C24-4A2C-8103-A5915C161D11.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I see all the points made for team cockerel too... Make sure you update us on this one!

Agreed. This one is a great mystery. BUT, in the original post she says she caught this "girl" trying to mount another hen. Don't think I have ever seen that type of aggression between hens. Face offs and hen picking- yes- mounting - no. But time will tell.

Agreed. This one is a great mystery. BUT, in the original post she says she caught this "girl" trying to mount another hen. Don't think I have ever seen that type of aggression between hens. Face offs and hen picking- yes- mounting - no. But time will tell.

What about the pullets who decide to “become” roosters? Who start to behave like them? I’ve read that they crow, boss around the hens, and act protective. No mounting?

Back
Top Bottom