Buff Orpington Hens or Roosters?

This is Esmerelda, my buff orpington, at about 9 weeks. we have a roo for sure, but I'm not sure about Esmerelda! We have 9 young chickens and we're new at this! am I going to have to change Esmerelda to Ezra? help please!!

This is Esmerelda, my buff orpington, at about 9 weeks. we have a roo for sure, but I'm not sure about Esmerelda! We have 9 young chickens and we're new at this! am I going to have to change Esmerelda to Ezra? help please!!
I'm leaning towards rooster, based on the comb/wattle development and patchy coloration.

This is Esmerelda, my buff orpington, at about 9 weeks. we have a roo for sure, but I'm not sure about Esmerelda! We have 9 young chickens and we're new at this! am I going to have to change Esmerelda to Ezra? help please!! I agree... cockerel. I have a 10 week old BO and has no comb/wattles at all.

Thanks for the opinions on my BO. We have a black australorp roo, will it be a problem if my BO is indeed a roo as well?? Or should I try to find a new home for one of them?

I would wait to see how they do before rehoming. I don't have any roosters but the barn where I work she has had a large fowl rooster and a bantam living together for years and they get along fine. When she put them together she didn't have any hens so maybe this is why they got along.

Now she has 12 pullets and 2 cockerels about 6 months old (accidentally, they were supposed to all be girls) and so far so good. No fighting yet so that's why I say just wait to see. Maybe you can look around just to see if there is a home out there for one of them but you may not need it. Also, you would want to wait to see if one of the cockerels ends up being mean to either humans or the girls and re-home that one. Just my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom