Buff Orpington in egg box for 2 hours

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
My buff orpington has been in the egg box for just about 2 hours. Usually they don't stay in the box for that long. Is there a problem with her?

Odelia

Songster
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Idaho
Some eggs are not as easy as others to lay and take a little longer. Otherwise you do have a breed known to go broody. Maybe she is considering motherhood.

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
@Odelia Thanks for the help. I got my chickens back in August, so this is my first spring with chickes, so I'm new to the whole broody thing.
wink.png
I went to the egg box, and she puffed up, but eventually moved after I started touching her. She's back out with the other hens in the run, and she seems totally fine now. Luckily, I think I was fortunate to break her broodiness before it got too bad. Thanks again.

Odelia

Songster
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Idaho
Don't assume you have broken her broodiness just because she went back out today. Sometimes it takes them a few days to become determined not to leave the nest. If she is back on it tomorrow I won't be surprised.

zinkie

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Southern NH
@Odelia Thanks for the help. I got my chickens back in August, so this is my first spring with chickes, so I'm new to the whole broody thing.
wink.png
I went to the egg box, and she puffed up, but eventually moved after I started touching her. She's back out with the other hens in the run, and she seems totally fine now. Luckily, I think I was fortunate to break her broodiness before it got too bad. Thanks again.
Also, I have some that just love to hang out in the nest box... just chilling. I have only had 1 who went broody, and as soon as she started she was clucking to the eggs, so I know that she was serious right away.

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Don't assume you have broken her broodiness just because she went back out today. Sometimes it takes them a few days to become determined not to leave the nest. If she is back on it tomorrow I won't be surprised.
@Odelia I wasn't assuming. I just meant that I broke her broodiness for today. I also would not be surprised if she's back at it tomorrow.

Top Bottom