Buff Orpington in egg box for 2 hours

WhiteLeghorn2

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
My buff orpington has been in the egg box for just about 2 hours. Usually they don't stay in the box for that long. Is there a problem with her?

Some eggs are not as easy as others to lay and take a little longer. Otherwise you do have a breed known to go broody. Maybe she is considering motherhood.

@Odelia Thanks for the help. I got my chickens back in August, so this is my first spring with chickes, so I'm new to the whole broody thing.
wink.png
I went to the egg box, and she puffed up, but eventually moved after I started touching her. She's back out with the other hens in the run, and she seems totally fine now. Luckily, I think I was fortunate to break her broodiness before it got too bad. Thanks again.

Don't assume you have broken her broodiness just because she went back out today. Sometimes it takes them a few days to become determined not to leave the nest. If she is back on it tomorrow I won't be surprised.

@Odelia Thanks for the help. I got my chickens back in August, so this is my first spring with chickes, so I'm new to the whole broody thing.
wink.png
I went to the egg box, and she puffed up, but eventually moved after I started touching her. She's back out with the other hens in the run, and she seems totally fine now. Luckily, I think I was fortunate to break her broodiness before it got too bad. Thanks again.
Also, I have some that just love to hang out in the nest box... just chilling. I have only had 1 who went broody, and as soon as she started she was clucking to the eggs, so I know that she was serious right away.

Don't assume you have broken her broodiness just because she went back out today. Sometimes it takes them a few days to become determined not to leave the nest. If she is back on it tomorrow I won't be surprised.
@Odelia I wasn't assuming. I just meant that I broke her broodiness for today. I also would not be surprised if she's back at it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom