Buff Orpington not herself and clear liquid came out of mouth

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's good that you were able to get some testing to find out more.

Are you treating the rest of the flock with Amprolium (Corid)?
Yes I am. Her necropsy also says necrotic enteritis from clostridium related to coccidia. I've read a whole lot of vet journal articles (I work in human medicine and have access to huge databases of various journals) about necrotic enteritis and seem to have more questions now. I am treating the rest of the flock for coccidia but do I also need to treat for clostridium with an antimicrobial? I don't have the cultures back yet as to what strain of clostridium she had. The other birds are all seemingly healthy, active, and all continue to lay well.

Yes I am. Her necropsy also says necrotic enteritis from clostridium related to coccidia. I've read a whole lot of vet journal articles (I work in human medicine and have access to huge databases of various journals) about necrotic enteritis and seem to have more questions now. I am treating the rest of the flock for coccidia but do I also need to treat for clostridium with an antimicrobial? I don't have the cultures back yet as to what strain of clostridium she had. The other birds are all seemingly healthy, active, and all continue to lay well.
If everyone else is acting normal and healthy, then you probably don't need to treat for Necrotic Enteritis. Controlling Coccidiosis is key to helping prevent the infection. The 2 seem to go hand in hand.

If you do need to treat, then your vet should be able to give you the correct medication to get on top of it.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...s is caused by,substrates are the main causes.

If everyone else is acting normal and healthy, then you probably don't need to treat for Necrotic Enteritis. Controlling Coccidiosis is key to helping prevent the infection. The 2 seem to go hand in hand.

If you do need to treat, then your vet should be able to give you the correct medication to get on top of it.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/necrotic-enteritis/necrotic-enteritis-in-poultry#:~:text=Necrotic enteritis is caused by,substrates are the main causes.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom