Buff Orpington pullet or roo?

ChickieLisa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I have one Buff Orpington chick that I got from the feed store around 3 weeks ago that I am thinking might be a roo, but I can't tell
hmm.png
It has a bit of red in its comb and is not very feathered out than I thought it would be. Opinions please?

Sorry it was a bit hard to get a good picture of its comb...

I have a little Buff Orpington that looks a lot like your and I can't deside if he is a he or a she ether. He is way behind my other chicks in the feather department but larger, also is yours getting feathers on his/ her breast? Mine has almost no tail feathers, but is feathering out on his/ her breast. Roo or freak on nature?lol

Roos tend to feather out slower then Pullets might be roo, you should post some pics in breed/ gender as well. Maybe some of those BO breeders will be able to tell.

Our obvious rooster buff orpington is feathered just like everyone else, but his comb is larger and redder, and he has cute little bitty wattles.

I take it back...everyone except him has a tail... So he hasn't gotten his tail feathers, but he definitely has wattles...it's my new place to check now for signs...under their little chins

Last edited:
I have one I got on the sixth that the comb is pretty red and he's already getting his wattles in...so I'm sure of it. Check for wattles...if no wattles then give it a week...the difference between male and female becomes more and more obvious as time goes by. It's too early to tell on that chick for me

Last edited:
I lack the experience here, but I can say I have 7 Buff Orps. All pullets & their combs are looking yellow with no hint of red. Good luck. Frustrating I'm sure.

Darn
sad.png
I was afraid of that. Our area doesn't allow roosters so I'll probably have to sell him or something
sad.png
And I was hoping it was a pullet...

Well give it a bit longer, maybe it will still turn out a pullet, just wait a few more weeks. Look for wattles. Look for a bigger redder cob. Don't sell until you are sure w hat you have.

I have a little Buff Orpington that looks a lot like your and I can't deside if he is a he or a she ether. He is way behind my other chicks in the feather department but larger, also is yours getting feathers on his/ her breast? Mine has almost no tail feathers, but is feathering out on his/ her breast. Roo or freak on nature?lol

Back
Top Bottom