Buff Orpington pullet or roo?

ChickieLisa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I have one Buff Orpington chick that I got from the feed store around 3 weeks ago that I am thinking might be a roo, but I can't tell
hmm.png
It has a bit of red in its comb and is not very feathered out than I thought it would be. Opinions please?

Sorry it was a bit hard to get a good picture of its comb...

I have one I got on the sixth that the comb is pretty red and he's already getting his wattles in...so I'm sure of it. Check for wattles...if no wattles then give it a week...the difference between male and female becomes more and more obvious as time goes by. It's too early to tell on that chick for me

Last edited:
I lack the experience here, but I can say I have 7 Buff Orps. All pullets & their combs are looking yellow with no hint of red. Good luck. Frustrating I'm sure.

Darn
sad.png
I was afraid of that. Our area doesn't allow roosters so I'll probably have to sell him or something
sad.png
And I was hoping it was a pullet...

Well give it a bit longer, maybe it will still turn out a pullet, just wait a few more weeks. Look for wattles. Look for a bigger redder cob. Don't sell until you are sure w hat you have.

I have a little Buff Orpington that looks a lot like your and I can't deside if he is a he or a she ether. He is way behind my other chicks in the feather department but larger, also is yours getting feathers on his/ her breast? Mine has almost no tail feathers, but is feathering out on his/ her breast. Roo or freak on nature?lol

I have a little Buff Orpington that looks a lot like your and I can't deside if he is a he or a she ether. He is way behind my other chicks in the feather department but larger, also is yours getting feathers on his/ her breast? Mine has almost no tail feathers, but is feathering out on his/ her breast. Roo or freak on nature?lol

Roos tend to feather out slower then Pullets might be roo, you should post some pics in breed/ gender as well. Maybe some of those BO breeders will be able to tell.

Lol and yeah mine has non-existing tail feathers or I just can't see it
hmm.png
but it's growing feathers on its back and its breast.

Back
Top Bottom