1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisyjaye, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Daisyjaye

Daisyjaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Are they usually slow to mature? Their combs and waddles are really pink compared to everyone else's. Plus they are really laid back and wait for everyone else to finish before they will even try to get any of the treat I am giving them.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, and non-hatchery stock are even slower at growth. [​IMG]

They're naturally a pretty calm, laid-back breed. The combs and wattles are often paler because they don't, or at least shouldn't, get as big as many other common breeds.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I would say yes. I had one in addition to three other breeds and we call her the baby because she still has tufts of chick down and is smaller and, well, still acts more like a baby chick than a chicken.

4. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    I have two Buff Orpingtons, one Gold Laced Wyandotte, one Partridge Rock, one RIR, and one Ameracauna. The Buffs are right on the upper end of the mix. My Wyandotte seems to be the slowest.

5. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I've heard they tend to be low in the pecking order which does seem true. Mine just started laying at 9 months old so I guess that's pretty slow to mature. She is a sweetie though!

6. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    I just got my first orpington egg today after about 9 months [​IMG] so I concur, much slower.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Maybe for some flocks they are low on the pecking order but my buff orpington hen, Buffy, is above my RIR/Game mixed hens that she lives with(she chose which flock she wanted to live with when she started flying). They don't dare mess with her but she is more calm than some of the others around humans. She and her sisters were slow to start producing eggs but when they started I got an egg a day from each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by