buff orpington/rhode island red cross

well to all those interested i have pictures of my buff/rhode island crosses. i dunno if there is a sex linktrait that comes from crossing a buff rooster and a rir hen but there are 4 currently 2 have no markings on their head and tail feathers aearly on and 2 with a stripe on thier heads and no noticble tail feathers

Quote:
wow she looks a lot like my golden comet hens (without the white)
big_smile.png

here are the pics i wanted to show ya'll. as you can see i have little chickies with a black stripe on the head and they are all pretty much uniform in color (a light reddish gold color) and then there are those with no stripe and no tail feathers that are bright buff almost blonde but with kinda reddish black wing feathers. they all match. im going to get more rhode island reds and buff orpingtons and see if i can repeat this. ill keep everyone informed

4007_picture_045.jpg

4007_picture_042.jpg

4007_picture_044.jpg

4007_picture_043.jpg

I was thinking of crossing my RIR's and some Buff's (to be aquired later). Reasoning is they are both good layers (supposedly RIR better than Buff) and the Buffs are supposed to be very hardy winter birds. Living a mile from Canada can produce some wicked winter weather.

So, I found this thread and enjoyed the pics of Meg. Beautiful girl. I have a few questions.

1. Are there any advantages or disadvantages associated with either RIR or Buff Roo?

2. Has anyone figured out if the offspring have sex-linked markings?

3. Are Meg's eggs any different looking than RIR or Buff eggs? I don't want to eventually hatch Meg's eggs mistakenly and continue to dilute the hybrid bird I'm wanting. What about defects from Father - Daughter offspring (I will only have one Roo, after all)? I would like to avoid if necessary. Thus, the necessity of identifying the Hybrid eggs.

Last edited:
I've heard that RIR roos are one of the more aggressive breeds, but you could get a real sweetheart. BOs are generally very nice; my roo is wonderful.

I have a BO hen that just hatched 3 eggs, unfortunately only one chicken survived. I was hoping the survivor was a BO/RIR cross, but the way its feathering out makes me think it is BO over SLW. It sure as heck better be a girlie.

well ive had good sucess with the hatches and ive had 2 types ones with and ones without the head astripe. mine arent old enough to lay but if you cross them tell us if they have the stripes. as far as buffs and rir i have had no problems with the adults. my rir give me eggs everryday and aare very well tempered. same with the buffs even though this will be the 1st full year ive had them i wonder what trhe texas heat will do to such a fluffy bird lol. the crosses are very pretty. kinda peach colored buff but very timid. might be the buff in them because they can be timid too.

I have both RIR and Buff Orps and also crosses between them and they look nice. But I'm going back to purebred Buff Orps just to stay pure.

I like BOs better because they have more mild personalities. The RIRs are noticeably more aggressive ("assertive") in general and I prefer a more laid-back hen. The RIRs eggs are bigger though. The BOs are more slender and sligthly smaller and ligher colored.

My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom