Buff Orpington Roo and EE hens.....

It has been cool here. I was just worried he was going to attack me when it turns that way.
If he isn't too hot, it could be raging hormones in a young cock. If he is fluffing out his neck and stalking you, or guarding the hens, try to train him that you are the bringer of all the good treats. Call him, throw him a special treat. Do not mess with the food in his presence, keep them penned up while you do the feed and water, then let them out. Do not pick up the hens in front of him. Lock him up before you handle his hens, even my nice boy got excited if he thought I was hurting a hen!

Is it really hot when that happens? Is the beak open too, panting? They use their comb like a radiator to cool down, could be he is too hot.
I just went out to see the chickens and just saw the rooster. He came by me with a look and a walk with a side step kinda till he got right to me. I stuck my foot up between us. Then a few minutes later he came running towards me. Is he going to attack me? I have had them for almost 3 months from chicks.

I just went out to see the chickens and just saw the rooster. He came by me with a look and a walk with a side step kinda till he got right to me. I stuck my foot up between us. Then a few minutes later he came running towards me. Is he going to attack me? I have had them for almost 3 months from chicks.
If his head is low to the ground, and the neck feathers are out, this is an aggressive posture. This is usually slow, almost strutting, like a guy flexing his muscles at the beach! He could also come running for food. My Buff Orpington rooster would dance for me and the hens. He dropped his wings and puffed up like a pigeon, and turned around, back and forth. That is what a nice rooster does to attract the hens. He treated me like a big hen!

Back
Top Bottom