Buff Orpington Roo?

My pullets Are all 13 weeks, and they look like your other Buff Orpingtons. I agree, hesitantly, with pullet, because of the feathering. Like others said, the comb and wattles are hard to ignore. Maybe your hen identifies as a rooster.;)
This is my 20 week BO rooster, and the feathering is more noticeable.

Attachments

• 3643.jpeg
    3643.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 13
My pullets Are all 13 weeks, and they look like your other Buff Orpingtons. I agree, hesitantly, with pullet, because of the feathering. Like others said, the comb and wattles are hard to ignore. Maybe your hen identifies as a rooster.;)
This is my 20 week BO rooster, and the feathering is more noticeable.

Agreed! She looks so much like a rooster in front 🤣 poor girl may be confused or is just a Roo with very late blooming tail/saddle feathers. I have seen some RIR pullets with rather large combs and wattles* so I am still hopeful!

Last edited:
RIR are a completely different breed.
Buff Orps don't usually lay until 6 months.

It's unlikely to be a cockerel without cockerel feathers at this age, so we can safely say it's a pullet. Don't suppose the age could be out at all?

It's the size of the comb that's throwing me off. But I can believe it's a pullet with a big comb a whole lot easier than a cockerel without cockerel feathering.

RIR are a completely different breed.
Buff Orps don't usually lay until 6 months.

It's unlikely to be a cockerel without cockerel feathers at this age, so we can safely say it's a pullet. Don't suppose the age could be out at all?

It's the size of the comb that's throwing me off. But I can believe it's a pullet with a big comb a whole lot easier than a cockerel without cockerel feathering.

Very true! I’m not sure. I assumed they were all the same age since I ordered them as day old chicks from Cackle Hatchery. They did throw in a few extras, could she be some type of mix or maybe just a genetic thing? Not sure.
Thanks for all of your help and discussion! Sure is fun trying to figure this one out! 😊

Nothing looks impure.
Definitely doesn't look like a mix.

Was wondering if you got her from somewhere and was told she was younger than she actually was. But of course if you got them as day olds, you'd know.

She's just a very fast growing young pullet. Although I've never seen them grow this fast.

Pretty girl.
I'm amazed she managed to grow a comb that fast. Mine at this age still had unnoticeable combs. Every single Buff Orp I've had. Which is a fair few.
And BO generally lay at 5-6 months. Some of mine were as late as 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom