Buff orpington Rooster?

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon

5 months old Lavender Buff.. I'm wanting to replace my silkie mix roo, a friend doesn't like to have roosters and offered me this one...If its a he it hasn't started crowing yet, but she said it acts very dominant. Don't want to cull my older roo unless I am pretty sure..

Sibling hatched at the same time.. I wouldn't mind if its a hen, but don't want to cull my roo if its not a roo
hide.gif

Last edited:
A body photo from the side would really help for us to look for hackle feathers. The comb and wattles do seem a little misleading as they look like a hen's but comparing it to the sister, it is a dramatic change. Could you take another picture for us? It has been a while I have been stumped on a chicken's gender. haha :D

A body photo from the side would really help for us to look for hackle feathers. The comb and wattles do seem a little misleading as they look like a hen's but comparing it to the sister, it is a dramatic change. Could you take another picture for us? It has been a while I have been stumped on a chicken's gender. haha :D

I'm picking him/her up today, Will get a picture then ... I am hoping its a rooster!!

ok, so as soon as we opened the pet carrier to put it in the grow out pen it skedaddled to the other chickens lol...Went right in the middle of them and have not had any issues other then the hens walking up and checking it out and the roosters trying to call it for feeding, also they get close and do the "dance" to which the newbie runs.. I'm leaning tword hen, although it is large and has HUGE feet it shows no sign of saddle feathers or sprur nubs...

You can see our rooster, the chicken in question is the light grey one between the rooster and the java

Back
Top Bottom