*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Got a few photos in the misting rain of Max's (EBO) cockerel and pullets out of SOP hens , at 5 1/2 months old. The pullets are starting to lay.

If we have a few cool days, these are available to ship now.

What is the price a a few of these? Sorry if you posted it, and I missed it.

Are BO roosters known for being as calm as the hens? I have a SS roo right now, about 26 weeks old. He had been amazing, even sits on the arm of our chair sometimes, but lately. He is beginning to become more aggressive, and attacked me this morning. Hoping its just a bad day, but we have children. Can't be allowing that, so I may be looking for a breed less likely to become aggressive.

BO's from good breeders like Dragon Lady are very calm. I have a rooster from her and when a 6 year old he'd never seen before came into the yard, all the did is beg her for the apple she was eating to feed to his hens.

When you get them from a hatchery they are likely to be nice but are not chosen for temperament and so you have a chance to get some that are not so sweet.

Last edited:
BO's from good breeders like Dragon Lady are very calm. I have a rooster from her and when a 6 year old he'd never seen before came into the yard, all the did is beg her for the apple she was eating to feed to his hens.

When you get them from a hatchery they are likely to be nice but are not chosen for temperament and so you have a chance to get some that are not so sweet.
Thank you Sarah ! I make a point of good temperament in my birds.All my chicks are handled a lot from hatching. I do not tolerate aggressive cockerels , as I feel that my big Orps could really hurt someone, if there were any tendency to being mean. I did cull a whole bloodline when I started, as those birds would simply try to get pieces of me , despite having been handled a lot. Life is too short to tolerate a mean bird.They DO make great soup though.

At what age do they start filling out? Mine is 4 months, and she seems skinny, she eats a lot and has been wormed, but doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of weight.

Maybe she's still just young?

I tried to introduce some new chicks into the flock today, she wasn't having any part of it, she pecked them all on their little heads, and stepped on them, I thought for sure she would be sweet, she has a great temperament, but no such luck, pooh!

Back
Top Bottom