*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Okay my fellow Buff Orpington Lovers I need your inputs! I posted a new thread asking genders today and only one person was gracious enough to reply to me. it seems Orpingtons are harder to sex than some other breeds. While I value that persons opinion, I would like to get a few more please.

10weeks old approximately. Two have larger bodies, legs and combs. The combs are redder but for some reason you cant see the redness in the pics. One is aggressive. Experts please put my mind at ease!

Okay my fellow Buff Orpington Lovers I need your inputs! I posted a new thread asking genders today and only one person was gracious enough to reply to me. it seems Orpingtons are harder to sex than some other breeds. While I value that persons opinion, I would like to get a few more please. 10weeks old approximately. Two have larger bodies, legs and combs. The combs are redder but for some reason you cant see the redness in the pics. One is aggressive. Experts please put my mind at ease!
I'm not an expert and I only own one BO but all flocks will have a few birds that act aggressive trying to figure out the pecking order. Did your brids come from a hatchery? Were you told they were all pullets? Do they all have the same parents? Genetics play a big role in it too. Sorry I couldn't answer questions, just pose more questions. Maybe with these answers it might help someone determine the gender??? Good Luck :)

The first picture and the one with the green waterer look "rooish" to me, but at 10 weeks I don't dare say one way or another. Two weeks and I can be more definitive.
okay I will get more pics in 2 more weeks

I'm not an expert and I only own one BO but all flocks will have a few birds that act aggressive trying to figure out the pecking order. Did your brids come from a hatchery? Were you told they were all pullets? Do they all have the same parents? Genetics play a big role in it too. Sorry I couldn't answer questions, just pose more questions. Maybe with these answers it might help someone determine the gender??? Good Luck
smile.png

They are all hatchery. I was told from the lady who raises them till 2 weeks old for me that she orders them as all pullets. Sometimes I wander if they are ordered as straight run since I already have a Rooster from her.

Unable to say for sure but just because their combs are redder doesn't really mean they are a roo and the aggressiveness, if it's directed at the other hens, means they are trying to establish their pecking order. Usually the roos at this age are stand offish towards humans. You will want to see the color of their waddles and their tail feathering in about 2-3 weeks. I bought what I thought was 8 BO hens but one turned out to be a roo. He always wanted to jump upon the edge of the brooder box and walk around the edges surveying the territory.

Update on Gertrude, the hen with the vent blowout. She is doing really great and is laying with no problems. Anyone have any ideas how this happened based on no diseases or any kind of trauma or infection?

Thank you for your input. I will repost in a few weeks. I am glad that your Buff is better! Humans can have blowouts too. We can actually kill ourselves if we push too hard while going number 2. Cranial nerve 10 causes the death. I assume that the same can happen for chickens but I am no expert.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. I will repost in a few weeks. I am glad that your Buff is better! Humans can have blowouts too. We can actually kill ourselves if we push too hard while going number 2. Cranial nerve 10 causes the death. I assume that the same can happen for chickens but I am no expert.

Nothing but a guess on the sexing question but at this point in the first set of pics you posted I would lean towards cockerels on the first pic, one beside green waterer, and last pic one on left. Please take with a big grain of salt because I had 2 blues that I was sure one cockerel and one pullet but both turned out to be pullets!
big_smile.png

I think with Orps it all depends on the lines more than anything else or at least to me it does. Some lines the boys feather slower & some lines the pullets/hens can have larger combs (even in the one line I have some of the pullets have larger combs than others). I have also noticed in some lines the hens are a great deal smaller boned compared to the cockerels but not in all lines.

ETA:: x2! on the hen with the blowout doing better.

Last edited:
Just to clarify the pictures that are close up in the first set of pics are just 2 birds at different spots in the coop. I was following them around trying to get good pics. The waterer pics-both of them-are the same bird. The second pic and the bird one the left in last pic are the same. In fact the only pics with other bird besides just the 2 are the ones that I wanted to show difference of comb color or tails compared to my 2 hens. Unfortunately the redness doesn't show properly on this site compared to what I see on my album and in person.

The second set of pictures are also just 2 birds that I was trying to get a decent shot of so you guys could see the real red color of the combs.

I guess I can see how lineage would make a difference and hopefully they are all girls except one-the one by the waterers I think is BEAUTIFUL and the tail feathers curling down is lovely! So hopefully if I need a male that will be it-in the Orpingtons anyways

Back
Top Bottom