*Buff Orpington Thread!*

They enjoyed the peat so much, we put the whole bag in their run! So much for garden supplies..
I would remove that peat, and give them some dry sand and ashes instead. Peat and Spagnum are known to cause respiratory problems in people, and birds have much more delicate respiratory systems.
old.gif

hey all i want to get your opinion on my new coop for my two buffs. an my one welsummer

here is jackie

and here is jackie and dolly
these two are the old one and was when i only had the welsummer. and here is martha.

Well quite honestly, for 2 full grown orps and a welsummer it might be abit of a squeeze, I have one very similar and I now use it for a broody hen and her chicks when I have them, I have taken a few pics with one of my Orpington hens in it but its a new phone and I haven't worked out how to get to them yet but am trying so will post as soon as I can. Will you be able to free range your hen during the day? And I don't know where you are so not sure of your predator risk either?

I'm adding to my lil backyard flock. I have 1 RIR, 2 sex links and 2 barred rocks. All hens and all pets. We just love the eggs and I'm adding 2 more in late sept. I have heard a ton of great things about the buff Orpington breed. Are they as sweet n docile as they sound? I'm also wanting a great layer. I'm leaning towards the buff orp's, any input for me?? Ty. ;)

i realise she is not buff but that blue hen is fully grown, the second pic is her squeezed in the part under the night quarters (she did that all by herself :) ) the orps are HUGE birds, my 2 are easliy the biggest in my yard and niether are fully feathered atm due to moult. as a second coop to isolate the odd bird for some reason or to house a couple of bantys these are ok but i wouldnt recommend them for housing big hens for long periods.

yes they free range all day most of the time and the biggest preditor in my area is a house cat and they are scared to come into my back yard because i have a dog who really doesnt like cats lol. basicly its for them to sleep in at night and while im at work. other than that they are out in the back yard. think that would work out for night use ?

there looks to only be 1 roost in there? i think you will be ok for a little while but once they are fully grown there wont be enough room for them in there even just a night, here is another pic of my hen in front of mine and i can try to get one of her in the night quarters if you give me 10 mins

the other thing i have noticed with yours is the window has perspex, not mesh which means if your close the hatch door there is no ventilation, can you change it?

Back
Top Bottom