*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Oh My, these are the sweetest photos. Thanks for posting. I needed a little sweetness today. Your mama hen looks so happy. I can't wait for one of my BO's to go broody next spring so I can have her raise some babies for me. BO's make the BEST mamas.
Thank you! And my pleasure :) Big Momma is COMPLETELY in her element with these guys. I had everything ready just in case i needed to brood them when they hatched out if she wasn't going to take care of them...but she is being a great momma to them! So awesome to not have to do anything aside from keep them fed, watered and safe. She is doing the rest! They have a pen down in our coop to keep the others away, and when I'm home, have supervised time in a small pen I made with chicken wire so they can enjoy some fresh air. :) I'd love to turn them loose and let them roam the yard, but the other chickens are still very unsure about them. 1 in particular who has attacked the momma. So, in the pen they stay with momma til they're alot bigger! :)

Haven't been over here in awhile....thought I'd update. Almost all of my hens are laying now :) Also, had one of my first layers go broody. We decided to let her hatch out some eggs...

Introducing Big Momma and the littles! Have 5 healthy babies. They're about a week old now!

Oh My, these are the sweetest photos. Thanks for posting. I needed a little sweetness today. Your mama hen looks so happy. I can't wait for one of my BO's to go broody next spring so I can have her raise some babies for me. BO's make the BEST mamas.

What happy photos! I especially love the last one where that sweet baby is peering out from underneath Big Momma.

I agree with you TheSpiceGirls, I cannot wait until one of our Orps goes broody. Since we no longer have a rooster, I will need to buy some eggs for them to hatch.

What happy photos! I especially love the last one where that sweet baby is peering out from underneath Big Momma.

I agree with you TheSpiceGirls, I cannot wait until one of our Orps goes broody. Since we no longer have a rooster, I will need to buy some eggs for them to hatch.
Thanks! :) Yea, that's my favorite I've been able to catch so far. That lil chick is the daredevil of the bunch. He's the same chick that's standing on Big Momma in the first pic!

Peanutsmomma, You can also buy live chicks. Let your broody sit on fake eggs or golf balls for at least two weeks, but ideally 21 days. Then you can either slip live chicks under her at night. Or I put the box of peeping chicks next to her for about an hour one morning and let her listen to them. You could TOTALLY see her demeanor change. So I took one and tucked it under her and she took it immediately. So I put the rest under her and the rest was history.

Peanutsmomma, You can also buy live chicks. Let your broody sit on fake eggs or golf balls for at least two weeks, but ideally 21 days. Then you can either slip live chicks under her at night. Or I put the box of peeping chicks next to her for about an hour one morning and let her listen to them. You could TOTALLY see her demeanor change. So I took one and tucked it under her and she took it immediately. So I put the rest under her and the rest was history.

Oh wow! I had no idea you could do that and will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing your chicken knowledge!
smile.png

we had 1 buff chick hatch on our last small batch

it's now up under our broody silkie

who was only sitting for a couple days

i feather sexed the chick on day 1

turns out it's a boy

he will be 3 times the size on momma at 6 months old
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom