Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

So did the gold one turn out to be a pullet? My thoughts are that she is---they look like several of our BO/BR and BR/BO hatches. GL!!!
Yes the goldens were girls and the silvers were boys. I was just so confused because they all grew out so fast and even the girls had big thick legs. One girl layed at 16 weeks, the others at 18 & 19 weeks. Light brown/tan eggs, a bit on the small side even now. But they are very sweet. There is some variation in color and pattern, two are more gold and one is mostly black. I'll have to get some new pics up soon. The boys went to freezer camp and were a very good weight for their age. Have to go to work, will try and find my record and tell the weight and age later

I was wondering how long the BO/BR took to be decent fryers? I have 24 BO's that are 9 weeks old, looking to breed out meat birds once these start laying I just don't want to have to wait 23 weeks to get something worth eating. I'm hoping I can get a few barred rock hens or Cornish hens to cross with my Orpington roosters. Any info from more experienced breeders is welcome.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long the BO/BR took to be decent fryers? I have 24 BO's that are 9 weeks old, looking to breed out meat birds once these start laying I just don't want to have to wait 23 weeks to get something worth eating. I'm hoping I can get a few barred rock hens or Cornish hens to cross with my Orpington roosters. Any info from more experienced breeders is welcome.

Mine that were hatched in early Dec, dressed out March 3 at 2 pounds 4 ounces. So around 10-12 weeks, not bad at all. The girls are really pretty and these are very friendly.

I know this is an old post --- but I have a BR roo that mixed with Buffy hens...they are 4 months now and are pretty -- white legs with a barred body so far.

How did these fair as layers? Do you have any pictures of them as adults?
They have been good layers, tho the two smaller ones still lay small eggs. They look much the same as the pics on page 4. The two smaller girls are the ones that have mostly gold. The bigger one is mostly black with gold markings. She is also the only one that has gone broody and has been an excellent mamma. She was also pretty good about sitting tight to her eggs.

I've been working on these Buff Barred Rocks for six or seven years and have this to show for it. The problem is that the hens don't express the barring as well as the roosters. There is no Orp. in them, however there is White Rock and R.I.R. in them. Thought some of you might be interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom