Buff Orpington X EE Crosses?

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
Does anyone have any? Are they good layers? How's the coloring, etc? Temperament?

Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

I just hatched some! Not that I can answer your questions yet...
hmm.png

But we noticed that our EEs were actually out-producing our BOs for egg production as the weather got colder, so we're kind of hoping for a nice combo.

Quote:
I was just wondering. I've got two EE pullets laying and my BO roos mount them quite frequently, much to their dismay. Figured they'd be good hatch candidates.

I do, sort of!

Here's the mom (her dad was a hatchery EE her mom a RIR):
chickenpics100.jpg

Dad:
Chickens004.jpg

Kids:
10-10-07044.jpg

2-7-08007.jpg

Being a cross to begin with, any EE offspring would be unpredictable when it comes to coloring and laying ablility.

If your parent stock is nice, healthy, and the hen lays well, I'd expect her offspring would be similar.
smile.png

Ella,
Both the kids are roo's right? What color was the Mom's EE dad?
I'm wanting to hatch out some mutts of my own from my black EE (bought as fertile eggs to be Black Ameraucana's but eggs are green and pink, none blue). I put two RIR hens w/him and 3 Blue Lace Red Wyandottes so their combs and wattles (if any) will be much smaller and hoping for beards/muffs instead. Collected the eggs and then decided to sell them as eating eggs so collected another clutch and will set them tomorrow now I've seen this post:) I can't decide if I can totally give up on my BO's, may only keep the roo and 3 hens for purebreds and give acouple BO hens to the Black EE roo, too, to lighten up some colors. He's got four black hens like himself and that irridecent green is so beautiful. He's getting burnt orange spots, too, should be a real looker this summer! Named him Black Beauty;)

Added: The BO needs to be in the warmest coop or dubbed, comb/wattles are too long. He's a nice and smart cookie though! I want the Ee's cause the look like they're "dressed for Alaska."

Last edited:
Yup both are boys and technically only 1/4 (?) EE.

All of my EE mixes came from Val:
Val.jpg

And his son Apollo:
boys05027.jpg

All of Val's male offspring were Colombian colored just like him. His female offspring were colored like their mothers.

Also all of the first gen. crosses had beards and no or very small wattles and pea combs.

That's why I went with an EE too, wanted to get rid of the big old frostbite prone combs and wattles. Certainly a success for the first generation.
smile.png

I do like the size I get from Buff Orp crosses, plus they're really mellow. Very nice for a cold confined winter.

I bet you'd end up with a very neat looking, cold hardy birds with an Orp x EE.
smile.png

Last edited:
I really lucked out in my test hatch:) Ended up w/ a lil cockerel & two lil pullets (I won't be breeding them to each other since they are bro/sis's). The black ameraucana looking EE roo x BLRW hen 's chicks ended up w/BLRW coloring with beards but the lil guy may have a bigger comb than I wanted. I really love the green colored legs/feet of the girls! Tomorrow is a day off from the new job, if I want, so I'll get new pics as they are growing fast but here is the previous pic:
6333_today_036.jpg

here's a son from my BO roo x RIR hen and I got a pullet chick, too
*** (forgot to say, that first pic of that RIR/EE hen- she is beau ti ful!);
6333_today_037.jpg

he's in front, right and she's in back, right while the BO roo x GLW hen's chick is in front on the left (black chick is the black ameraucana looking EE roo/same type hen and her parents were hatchery "black ameraucana's but by the egg colors, determined to be EE's)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom