Buff Orpingtons 3+ weeks -Do tails tell a story?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hollyandty, Jun 21, 2009.

1. hollyandty

hollyandty Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    North Pole, Alaska
    I have 29 3+ weeks olds that I am trying to sex. I was told that the ones with tails were hens and the ones without were roos. Whichever way it works out it is pretty obvious in the brooder that the tail means something. I have about half with and half without. What do you all think.
    First 2 pics no tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These 2 pics have tails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Usually, the early tail-getters are the girls. Also, along the side of the neck and the center of the back, the males feather in more slowly, so sometimes look a little bald.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    omg buff orps they are lovely im not sure about the tail but i hope they are girls so you can keep em and we can get pictures later on when they are older

4. hollyandty

hollyandty Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    North Pole, Alaska
    Thanks for the input. I was hoping that was the case. I want to keep all my hens and import a rooster to keep the flock healthy.

I am now officially addicted to hatching and BYC. You guys are wonderful.

Side note: Just watched 2 more hatch this morning. Love my Hovabator!

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    My girls (and they ALL turned out to be girls) mostly got their tails early. The one that I thought was never going to get tail feathers turned out to be the layer of the biggest eggs, and the alpha hen. She is also the sweetest and easiest to hold, and first to go broody. Her tail feathers took about 3 months to grow in. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Orp pullets get tails early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: