Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds-What's the problem, can they live together?

I've had them together, twice. I think as long as you raise them from chicks together as flock mates they do fine. Not sure how many you're getting.... For me I just had just one of each. The RIR's did wind up picking on different breeds but not their BO flock mates. Just my experience.

My RIR crew is feisty but not overly so.

10 RIR hens, 3 Barred Rock hens, 3 sexlinks. With a RIR Rooster. Top of the pecking order is 2 barred rocks and a sexlink. Hope this helps with perspective.

Housed in 12x14 coop and 30x50 run when not free ranging.
Can you tell me....I want to get a couple buffs for brooding hens. I have a RIR rooster and 7 RIR hens which are pretty bossy. Will the rooster fertilize the buff's eggs and if so what will hatch out?

Can you tell me....I want to get a couple buffs for brooding hens. I have a RIR rooster and 7 RIR hens which are pretty bossy. Will the rooster fertilize the buff's eggs and if so what will hatch out?
I’m not sure what the cross would be. I’m positive the roo will fertilize the buff though.

I’ve morphed into a straight RIR flock now. Two of my RIR hens are proven broody.

I’m not sure what the cross would be. I’m positive the roo will fertilize the buff though.

I’ve morphed into a straight RIR flock now. Two of my RIR hens are proven broody.
Cool. I love my RIR girls, first RIR rooster for me. Can't get my girls to sit on their eggs, ever. 3 new buff chicks in the basement and I will let you know what happens. 4 months from now ha :wee:wee

RIR are a mix of Brown Leghorns and Malaysian gamefowl, so they're extremely dominant and the roosters are often aggressive. My RIR hens rank just under my Asil hen

Back
Top Bottom