Buff Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex?

So hubby and I are getting started on building the coop. Since we aren't supposed to have chickens in our town, we can't get too many. I think 4 will be the limit. I love the Buff Orpington, and the Speckled Sussex, so pretty. Will these two breeds get along ok? Are they good layers? I've read that the Orpington's are very docile, I don't want them to get picked on, and also that they get very broody. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Each chicken breed has general characteristics. But individual chickens have their own personality, so there is no guarantee that if you get a hen of a particular breed that she will act the way you expect.

I suggest picking a variety of hens and give away or sell the ones that are too aggressive or too noisy for you.

That is a tough situation if your town won't allow you to have hens. But a city will usually only do something if a neighbor complains. Be very nice to your neighbors and maybe give them some eggs.

Each chicken breed has general characteristics. But individual chickens have their own personality, so there is no guarantee that if you get a hen of a particular breed that she will act the way you expect.

I suggest picking a variety of hens and give away or sell the ones that are too aggressive or too noisy for you.

That is a tough situation if your town won't allow you to have hens. But a city will usually only do something if a neighbor complains. Be very nice to your neighbors and maybe give them some eggs.

Thanks Bullitt. We actually are the last house on a dead end road, woods on three sides. We own an acre and a half, and only have two neighbors anywhere near. I already spoke with them, they are fine with the chickens as long as no rooster, and they get eggs, of course!!

Does anyone know what coloured chicken I would get if I breed a speckled roo with a lavender Orpington
We have Speckled Sussex...both roo and hen.... Some of the best birds we have owned....very people friendly....they also get along with our other chickens.... They are by far my top pick....

Back
Top Bottom