Buff Orpingtons are tricky to tell gender!

Thanks for the reply, that makes me so happy I have a roo and thinking about his behavior, that makes sense. I love your coop!
Thank you! It took me awhile to get it built enough to get them out of my garage. It's still a work in progress though. LOL I love my Buff Orpington. She's the friendliest out of all my chickens. Hopefully your cockerel turns out to be the same. I have 1 cockerel, on purpose. I bought all my birds sexed from Meyers and they nailed it 100%. He's a Blue (BBS) Ameraucana. He's human tolerant. But he's a little rough on the girls. But he also shows the girls where all the treats are, and barely eats any himself. I'm just hoping he learns to be more gentle with the girls with age. If not, I may be looking for another to replace him.

Attachments

• 20230416_111338.jpg
    20230416_111338.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 14
Thank you! It took me awhile to get it built enough to get them out of my garage. It's still a work in progress though. LOL I love my Buff Orpington. She's the friendliest out of all my chickens. Hopefully your cockerel turns out to be the same. I have 1 cockerel, on purpose. I bought all my birds sexed from Meyers and they nailed it 100%. He's a Blue (BBS) Ameraucana. He's human tolerant. But he's a little rough on the girls. But he also shows the girls where all the treats are, and barely eats any himself. I'm just hoping he learns to be more gentle with the girls with age. If not, I may be looking for another to replace him.
Where did you get that cage thing!? That’s awesome too!!!

He looks so proud! I recently took the chicks out of the garage 😂 now they are in our old smaller coop with a big run, right next to our three older hens, until they are big enough to have a fair pecking order lol

My name is Lindsay, I'm newer to having chickens (2021) and have one buff Orpington so I cannot compare to same breed (was not sexed, I was hoping for a roo), I was afraid to get multiple in case too many roos. It is about 10 weeks old. Would somebody be able to help me tell if it is a room or a hen, I was thinking it kind of looks like a hen.

Thank you so much,
Lindsay
Cockrel 👌

Back
Top Bottom