Buff Orpingtons From Different Hatcheries

Thank you! Where did you get your heritage orps? Can you describe them - how they're different? Are they actually heavier, or just bigger? Do they lay well? :D
www.rigginsfancychickens.com
I got a pair from her. Dolly is a Silver Laced Blue and Sam is a Silver laced Black
Dolly is like a basketball with legs, she took her time getting to point of lay, 38 weeks but when she layed an egg it was a full blown large egg and has been consistent size wise.

@Cyprus, Thank you for your reply! You'd think that would fall under false advertising, wouldn't you? Just saying it's a "hatchery line" doesn't quite cut it when they use the breed description to make sales. Sad about your bird dying. :hugs

@MandaH, Thank you also! I'm sure you never weighed her, but how did she compare to the weight of a gallon jug full of water? I'm sorry to hear about her dying, though. :hugs

@Acre4Me, Yeah. I followed and prayed over all that last year. It's terrible to read about all that happening to people who seem to be trying to do something good (hard enough all on its own) - just one thing after another. I hope your chicks arrive soon and thrive! I'd love to know how they do, if you don't mind! ;)

@Trux, Thanks for that link! Have your heritage birds ever gone broody? Do they lay well? How did their eggs compare to store bought? :D

Edited to stay on topic ... :caf

Last edited:
She was less, maybe more around 5-6 lbs than the 8 lbs of a gallon of water. My son used her for two years at our County fair and he was able to handle her fine. He is a teenager, but they still have to do a lot of handling and holding them up and such for periods fo time.

@Trux, Thanks for that link! Have your heritage birds ever gone broody? Do they lay well? How did their eggs compare to store bought? :D
No Dolly hasn't been broody yet but my others have.1 of the buffs is constantly going broody and the one I lost last summer to the heat went broody all the time as well. I also have a silver penciled rock that just started going broody as well.
As for the eggs Dolly is a champ she lays in clutches though, she will lay for 2 to 3 wees then take a week plus off then start to lay again, but there always nice large eggs. My hatchery orps lay nice large eggs as well, even the smallest one lays big eggs. As for taste of the eggs they are way better than store bought IMO. How is Dolly different from my other orps...well she is a rounder, more dense chicken, she is built lower to the ground, you cant see her legs only her feet because of her skirt...she is built the way an orp should be. She come from Green Fire Farms stock as did my Rooster Sam
When I pick her up I know I got a nice chicken, my others do not compare. She weighs in at 8lbs, my others would be lucky to make 5lbs, Clarise is my smallest and she is in the 3lb range Wheezer about the same and Pearl my white is around 4 to 5lbs and they don't have the orp look

Last edited:
@Trux: Thank you, that is very helpful! Love the details! :D Although a little disappointing ... I want big birds, but not an incubator! :he Maybe there's a place for a few hatchery-type birds in a serious flock after all ... (as surrogate moms and layers).

Well if you want a proper Orpington body then maybe you need to look at getting some chicks from a breeder, instead of a hatchery. You can do both BTW. Orps have a tendency to go broody but not all do.

Back
Top Bottom