Buff Orpingtons Laying Age

I have 5 Orpingtons, 2 at 18 weeks and 3 at 6 weeks. I guess I'll be waiting a while on eggs! Hope a get a few before winter!!

9 buff orpington hens, one started laying at 20 1/2 weeks, the other 8 hens started laying at 21 1/2 weeks. These were all from a hatchery.

My buff is 25 weeks old and showing no signs of being ready. My other birds started squatting when I went to pet them a few days before they laid their first eggs. But buff still scurries away when I reach down to touch her. So to me that sounds like she's too young to be interested in being "submissive". Ha ha. Very independent, shes not a follower, she's the explorer. My Brahma and Australorp laid the tiniest eggs, but my Rhode island red laid huge eggs from the first one . Her eggs are larger than my 2.5 yr old BRs. And I've read that the Brahma is supposed to be the most docile. Not mine, she's the noisiest and the one that tries to be the toughest one. Australorp is the most docile and red is also very docile.

I discovered this thread searching for info on Orpingtons. I have hatchery girl, 32 weeks today, and no sign of submissive squat. She's kind of the Baby Huey of the bunch, won't jump in for food like the others and really just now learning to scratch. She's from an assortment and the Leghorns from the same shipment laid at 15-16 weeks old! She's healthy, loves to eat, no problems. It's just like she's a gigantic toddler among the others. Still waiting for that first egg from her!

Back
Top Bottom