Buff Orpingtons noisy in the morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kdehmlow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. kdehmlow

kdehmlow Hatching

Nov 5, 2013
    Centennial, CO
    I have a flock of 7 chickens and in the morning my buff orpingtons decide to make a lot of noise around 5:30. The noise doesn't bother me but I live in the city and it's too loud for my neighbors. What can I do? They are both hens so I thought they wouldn't be very noisy.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How are they housed - meaning are they allowed free access from the coop/run 24/7 or do you lock them up at night and let them out in the morning? What time is the sunrise where you are?

3. pawabovefarms

pawabovefarms In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Have they laid any eggs?

I find my hens can get a little noisy in the morning, especially my Buffs and Barred Rocks, primarily because they seem to be my early morning egg layers. Every morning you can hear them out there singing their little egg songs, or squabbling over favorite nesting boxes, followed by egg songs.

Can you describe or record the noise they are making?

4. kdehmlow

kdehmlow Hatching

Nov 5, 2013
    Centennial, CO
    They aren't locked up at night and the sunrise is usually around 6. And yes they have both laid eggs and are currently still laying.

5. krista74

krista74 Songster

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My BO's are loud too, especially after laying. Their egg songs go on for ages!

All I can suggest is that you lock them in the coop at night, and cover the windows enough that the light is blocked out - ie: They won't know it's morning, and may potentially sleep longer.

It's no guarantee, but it might help.

Good luck!

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: