Buff Orpingtons not laying

ascott1978

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Joshua, Tx
Buff Orpington hens haven't been laying for nearly three months now. What up? I've gone over everything I know to encourage production.

Here's what I know:

A: Molt start about three months ago. None of them ever lost all their feathers though.

B: Change diet two months ago to cracked corn (only).

C: 14 of the hens are 16 months old, 3 others are 9 months.

D: Out of 17 Buff Orpingtons, I get 1-2 eggs a day.

E: Have 10 Barred Rocks on same diet and I get 3-5 eggs daily.

F: Live in Texas so the cold weather has only been present a few times. No ice, snow, or rain in excess in months (well watered).

G: Have rats, but no evidence of broken eggs anywhere.

Hopefully, someone can help.

Quote:
Am I ready that right? Your only feeding corn? That would be part of the problem from what I can tell. I have buffs and they are laying machines even up here in the frozen north. They are good for eggs everyday.

I admit I dont know everything nor do I pretend to know. But I keep my girls on laying rations and they are giving me more eggs than I know what to do with.

a) they were probably having a mini molt .

B) Scratch (cracked corn) is not a sufficient diet for them, they need scratch and grow mash, then lay mash when they are about 12-16 weeks, along with free choice oyster shell. That right there could be why they aren't laying...

C) Please keep in mind that it is winter and several breeds usually go ion strike to some extent. BO's are not ususally on that do that though.... again I think it is the diet.

D) the feed...

E) I don't have BR's so I can't answer to why they are laying and the BO's aren't....

I sure hope this helps a little bit. I really beleive that they need a more balanced diet with the nutrients that are necessary for them to produce eggs.

Get them some laying pellets or laying mash and I bet you will start getting eggs !!!!

Back
Top Bottom